What is an Initial Public Offering (IPO)?
An Initial Public Offering (IPO) is the first offering of a company's ordinary shares to investors.
The following are often cited as key benefits of admission to a public market:
- Listing provides access to capital growth, enabling companies to raise finance for further development, both at the time of admission and through further capital raisings.
- The transfer of ownership of a business from a Government to a privately owned entity which is often achieved through listing the new private company on the stock market.
- Creating a market for the company's shares thus broadening the shareholder base.
- Placing an objective market value on the company's business.
- Increases the company's ability to make acquisitions, using quoted shares as currency.
- To increase and improve the public image of the company.
Please note this is an advertisement and not a prospectus, and you should not make an investment decision on the information contained here without consulting the relevant risks in the prospectus.
Benefits and risks to investors investing in an IPO
- No stamp duty payable
- No commission charged on your initial investment
- There may be a lack of historical data on a company that is subject to an IPO.
- During the period between the intention to float being announced and the start of the offer, the intention may be withdrawn.
- You may not receive the full amount that you have applied for as the company may scale back the applications if the offer is oversubscribed.
- Share prices can fall as well as rise. The listing price of the stock may be lower than the issue price.
- Tax treatment depends on the individual circumstances of each client and may be subject to change in future.
- You are not guaranteed to make a profit; the value of your investments can go down as well as up. You may not get back all the funds you invest.
Why invest with TD?
We're part of TD Bank Group, an international organisation serving 22 million investors around the globe. We're also one of the UK's leading providers of direct investing services, dedicated to giving you the confidence to manage your own investments.
Better, smarter investment decisions
Control when, where and how much you want to invest through our award-winning platform and apps.
- Manage your investment portfolio and trade on the go with our mobile apps
- Develop your unique investing strategy with our range of free tools and research
- Choose from over 2,000 Funds, UK and international equities, gilts and bonds
- Invest with the Best Online Stocks & Share Dealing Provider 2014 ï¿½ voted by YourMoney readers
The value of your investments can go down as well as up. You may not get back all the funds you invest.